Sunday, March 13, 2011

Baked Zeppole

Next Saturday is March 19th. For Catholics that means St Joseph's Day. In the Catholic religion, St Joseph was the "Foster Father" of  Jesus, husband of the Virgin Mary. This is primarily an Italian Holiday, but where I come from, Everyone got in on it! My favorite part of this day is the Italian Pastry. As I no longer live in the Northeast, a Great Baked Zeppole is almost impossible to find. I so miss being able to trot up to Federal Hill or to North Providence and stop by Lasalle Bakery for a wonderful variety. You had to choose baked or fried, then you have your choice of cream. You can have, Canoli cream, "Italian" cream, Baileys, Amaretto, Chocolate the choices go on and on.
I braved it this year and decided I was going to make my own. Wow! There are only a few recipes online and you are hard pressed to find one for a "baked" Zeppole
As I had never made them before I was daring but not so daring to go with "flavored" cream...I stuck with the Traditional  "Italian" boiled cream I already knew how to make. LOL

Here is my version, Hope you enjoy!

Baked Zeppole

Baked Zepole - FoodisLoveRecipes.com
Ingredients:
Shells:
1/2 cup sugar + 3 tbsp.
1 Stick Butter
4 Eggs (large)
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 cup Water
1 1/2 cup Flour
Cream Filling:
1 tbsp Butter
1 cup Whole Milk
1 cup Heavy Cream
7 tbsp Sugar
4 tbsp Cornstarch
3 Eggs
2 tsp Vanilla

Garnish

Maraschino Cherries
Confectioners/Powdered Sugar.

Instructions Cream:

Mix together Eggs, sugar and cornstarch. Cream until ribbon texture.
Set aside.

In heavy saucepan bring milk, cream and butter to a boil.
Remove from heat and while whisking continuously, add egg mixture.
Move back to heat for one minute. Do not stop mixing!
Continue mixing for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and strain into a bowl. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.




Instructions Shells:

Preheat oven to 425° f.

Sift together flour, Salt and baking soda, set aside.

In a heavy saucepan, heat the water, add the butter and sugar, when melted, remove pan from the stove and add the flour mixture all at once. Beat with a wooden spoon or silicone spoonula, then return the pan to medium-high heat, beating the mixture until it comes away from the sides of the pan. 

Remove the pan from the heat. Let mixture cool 15 minutes.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating with hand mixer to blend each in well before adding the next egg.
Fill a pastry or ziploc bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain nozzle with some of the cream puff mixture. Squeeze out 1 1/4-inch puffs about 1/2 inch apart on cookie sheet. 


Bake the cream puffs in preheated 425ºF (220ºC) oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. When done, carefully slit the side of each cream puff with a knife to allow steam to escape and prevent the puffs from becoming soggy inside. Transfer the cream puffs to cooling racks. May keep shells in closed container for a couple days to up to a week before filling.

Assembly:

Cute each shell in half, revealing a top and bottom. 
Fill each shell with 2 tbsp cream.
Cover with top
Add 1 tsp cream to top.
Dust with powdered sugar and maraschino cherry.

Serve.
Enjoy!

17 comments:

  1. What a great idea to bake instead of fry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love zeppoles!! I am an Italian Catholic and this is always a staple dessert! I've been looking forward to March just so I could eat one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I am so used to it this way..I just cant seem to resolve frying them :) You have to try it, they're great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elyse, thanks so much for stopping by... Hope you like the recipe! Now you can make them anytime you like!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I've usually just fried them, and never been overly happy with the result

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for posting this, Laurie! I really would love to have some... right now! It's been way too long. Who knows, maybe I'll get ambitious for St Joseph's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toby, you have to try them baked. They have a whole different texture. More of a pastry, rather than a glorified donut! Its sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michele, It was most certainly my pleasure, posting and Making them! So glad you liked them! please try them and let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cream filling sounds especially delicious and they look very nice

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ladies, Thanks so much for stopping by, They were as delicious as they look and a delight to make! I love traditional items :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laurie you are a doll.

    Hubby has been after me to make these pastries for the two Giuseppe persons in our family (one of which is my loving FIL).

    I guess since we are spoiled with our amazing Montreal Italian pastry shops...it was certainly easier to leave it up their mastery.

    Now you got me excited enough to make them...specifically because you mentioned baked!
    I will surprise everyone this Saturday.

    Mille grazie,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Claudia, I am honored to have inspired You!! I am so glad you'll be making them...Have patience...and confidence and it will be wonderful! If you can..I advise making the cream, the night before. It needs to be really cold to thicken up correctly. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look fabulous! Another version I have never had that cream... I am so glad you posted that on my site can't wait to get out of work and try this version! love love love it....fabulous picture too! I love the cream puff style, but we made several kinds.. hope you stop by, every Region in our family made them different so we get fried, baked, honey, sugared.. so many, but this homemade filling is superb! Happy St Joseph's Day Laura! http://pegasuslegend-whatscookin.blogspot.com/2011/03/march-19th-st-josephs-zeppole.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I linked this recipe to my site for your version and mention your site, hope you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Claudia, I am blown away and honored beyond belief! I have been a fan of your facebook page and blogs everywhere for a long time! I am so glad you liked my recipe! I'm sure your Zeppole are leaps and bounds Wonderful! You are the Italian Recipe Queen! Thanks so much for asking what everyone is doing for St Joseph's Day. I am kind of lost in a sea of people who have no idea about it. So glad to know someone who knows what I'm talking about :) Thanks for being so supportive! You are Great!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Claudia, I updated the recipe, the sugar goes in with the butter, and so sorry there are 4 eggs :)
    I cant wait to see your Zeppoli!

    ReplyDelete